Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The Lord's Vineyard

For the past few years that we have lived in Nevada, the summertime often brings back memories of laboring in the Lord's vineyard. I'm not talking about my mission, but the very place that Kyle and I grew up at. The Central Valley in California is literally the Lord's Vineyard...let me tell you how.


First, I feel like I need to write about this for a few reasons:  Just yesterday, I was reading an old Ensign magazine from 2010. When I turned the final page, the article was titled: "Christmas in the Lord's Vineyard." I automatically knew what the article would be talking about. Then, a few days before that, I was reading one of my friend's blog, and she had posted her experience moving back to the valley and serving in the vineyard for the first time in many years.

Unless you grew up in the area that we did, you probably don't understand the powerful spirit that is felt once you walk on to the 80 acres of grape vineyards that the church owns. Most people would dread working hours on end in a dusty, dirty, vineyard...sweating all day, getting spiderwebs in your hair, breathing in dust, etc., but for the Latter-day Saints in the valley, it is a privilege and blessing to do so every summer.

When Kyle and I lived there, we looked forward to the socializing that took place as we served along side with our friends and families during the summers out there in the vineyard. The rows of grapes that were assigned to the various stakes in the valley appeared endless, literally! But we always managed to complete our rows, with smiles on our faces, and willingly continued to work and help the other wards/stakes complete their assignments.

In my eyes, it truly is sacred ground. You can sense and feel something different as you enter the property. Each year, these grapes are picked, dried, turned, cleaned and prepared as raisins to aid in the Church's Humanitarian efforts and Church Welfare Program. It is interesting to note that each year, there seem to be some set backs, but the Lord always provides as we do our part. Sometimes the sugar content doesn't appear to be on track for the season, but then miraculously some time later, it becomes right on track just in time for picking season. Other times the crop doesn't appear that it will be large enough, but somehow, each year's crop size surpasses the previous year's crop. With that said, when natural disasters strike, the crop for that year always provides enough to accommodate the needs of the size of the disaster...isn't that amazing!?! 

I have to go back to that Ensign article that I mentioned earlier. The Central Valley is the fruit basket of the world...agriculture thrives there, so naturally, there are a lot of field workers that live in the valley. During the winter months, the vineyard still has to stay maintained by pruning the canes so as not to encumber new growth that will happen the following months. Just as working in the fields in the summertime is not all that appealing, the winter months are similar...just cold, dusty and...cold!

Yet, the ever faithful Latter-day Saints in the Spanish Ward, willingly sacrifice their time AND their Christmas mornings, to serving in the Lord's Vineyard, for 17 years now. Most of these people are field workers, and during this time of year, they work 7 days a week. Christmas day is one of their only days off, but yet they spend their only day off of work to labor in the Vineyard. Check out the short article about their faithful sacrifice for Christ during Christmas time.  http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?locale=130&sourceId=49d9fbf1ce57c210VgnVCM100000176f620a____&vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD

Here is one more article that goes more in to detail.

This video conveys exactly what I wanted to get across about the ever faithful Saints where we are from. I am so blessed to have lived and served in The Lord's Vineyard. What a special place it will always hold in my heart! I know many of you won't understand why this video brings tears to my eyes each time I watch it, or why service in a dusty, vineyard means so much to me, but I think that if you had experienced some service at this choice vineyard, you would understand the love I have for it and the people from there. This video takes me back to my roots and I'm grateful for the spiritual experiences that I have had on those long, dusty rows of grapes.

My friends know that I love giving service, in any way, shape or form. Even if it is in uncomfortable circumstances like blazing hot weather, or during cold wind storms. I love my Savior and helping others that I do or do not know is my way of showing love to my God and my fellow man.

0 comments: